SUMMER STUDENT JOB DESCRIPTION
DATE OF POSTING
Founded in 1978, the Ontario Black History Society (OBHS), is the organization in Canada that is at the forefront in the celebration of Black history and Black heritage with a demonstrated record in the study, preservation, and promotion of Black history in Ontario. A registered charity, the OBHS is also the only Ontario Provincial Heritage Organization with the Ministry of Tourism, Culture, and Sport devoted to Black history and heritage. The OBHS is a B3 organization (Black led, Black focused, Black serving). Our organization hosts our notable annual Black History Month Kick-Off, annual Emancipation Day commemorations, and a range of other programming with community partners. Please visit our website for more information: https://blackhistorysociety.ca/
The OBHS is seeking one summer student. This position is part of the Government of Ontario’s Summer Employment Opportunities Program known as the 2022 Summer Experience Program.
The successful candidate will work with staff and the Board of Directors to manage events and programs, administrative duties, and community outreach.
● Basic computer skills, fluency in written and spoken English, willing and able to learn new information to share with visitors, friendly and well-mannered,
● Assisting in the coordination and marketing of Emancipation Day and future events
● Creating, revising and editing marketing material (hardcopy, web and social media)
● Liaising with community members
● Liaising with high schools, school boards, OBHS board members, and community
● Administrative support and general office duties, responding to general inquiries
● Some research and report writing may also be required
July 25, 2022
HOW TO APPLY
Candidates can email their application package (cover letter, resume) directly to the Ontario Black History Society, 401-10 Adelaide Street East, Toronto, ON M5C 1J3 at email@example.com. In the subject line, please indicate “OBHS Manager Position.”